The primary function of the Training Bureau is education.
It is responsible for:
- establishing curriculum
- developing courses
- formulating lesson plans
- scheduling training sessions
- teaching classes
- maintaining records for both fire operations and EMS.
It administers an in station training program for all fire companies
and provides for individual and multi-company drills.
The Bureau conducts all candidate basic training classes including
the Field Training Officer program.
It also conducts:
- all EMT Intermediate classes
- EMT Intermediate and paramedic refresher classes
- all EMS continuing education
- EMS Instructor Refresher classes
The Bureau also:
- maintains a training video library
- researches and tests new firefighting equipment and procedures
- assists in tests conducted by the Personnel Department
- provides facilities and personnel for outside multi-agency training
- responsible for the initial certification of the Paramedics and EMS